Wednesday 19 January 2011

MONGOL GALLERY PAGES 48 to 54

INT. EUROSTAR - DAY


Nick de Musca is still taunting Anna


de MUSCA

You don't think you can do anything when you get to England, do
you? Your boyfriend's lost his mind, the demon slayer's lost in
dreams of greed and the wizard is dead. You don't think you can do
anything to stop me, do you?

ANNA

I don't have a clue what you are talking about so why don't you just go away?

de MUSCA

I think I will, but I'll leave you something to think about.


de Musca stands and, in full view of the other passengers, tears open Anna's blouse. He does not touch her more than this but, slowly, she begins to bleed.


ANNA (more enraged than afraid)

Godverdomme! Just fuck off!

de MUSCA

Temper temper...


de Musca disappears in a puff of smoke.

FADE TO GREY


FADE UP TO


EXT. CHURCH STREET - DAY


A Hearse pulls up outside Alaric's bookshop, after passing the Mongol Gallery, which is still boarded after the window was broken. JANET KIRK climbs out of the car and knocks on the door. Peter opens it.
JANET KIRK

Good morning. I'm Janet Kirk from Kirk McCauley. I realise that
you have dealt with Mr McCauley before this and I hope that this
change will not cause you distress on this saddest of days.

PETER

Of course not.


Peter introduces the others who nod when their names are called. It is COOK's first appearance. He is a thin, tall man, much younger than Alaric, and clearly distressed by his death. It is also the first appearance of Alaric's sister, BOUDICCA.


PETER

These are Daniel, Tia, Liam, Cook, Alaric's sister Boudicca and of
course you know Father Demetrios.


Peter, Daniel, Liam and Cook take their places, along with two BEARERS provided by the undertakers and carry the coffin to the hearse. Father Demetrios speaks over the coffin before beginning its journey to the church.


FATHER DEMETRIOS

Of course, the funeral will be at The Church of Saint John the
Theologian in Mare Street. I can show you the way if you don't know
it. In fact, I would prefer to walk in front of the car if that is
permitted.

JANET KIRK

Certainly I know it. It's a couple of miles though and the roads are
busy. If you feel it's essential to walk, then of course but I feel I must
let you know that.

FATHER DEMETRIOS

Thank you. I appreciate your concern but Mr Hanworth died a hero
and I wish to mark my respect for that.

JANET KIRK

As you wish, Father.


Alaric's coffin is loaded into the hearse. Cook and Boudicca climb into the Hearse itself while the others get into Liam's car, apart from Father Demetrios who walks in front of the procession that begins its journey to the church. We follow the procession for a while before we.


CUT TO:


INT. EUROSTAR DAY


Anna has repaired her blouse. Having no safety pin, she has instead used a button bearing the legend "Ik Houd Mijn Eigen Fatsoen!" There are spots of blood on her clothes and her expression is fierce.


ANNA

What do you think you are looking at? Didn't care when I was being
attacked did you? That's why society falls apart. Assholes!


Nobody reacts and Anna gazes angrily at the Kent countryside. The train slows down and comes to a stop.


ANNA

Now what?


ANNOUNCEMENT

Ladies and Gentlemen. There will be some delay in reaching London
due to a cow on the line. We will keep you informed.


The announcement is repeated in Dutch, French and German.


ANNA

Godverdomme!


Anna is drumming her fingers with one hand, while the other, white-knuckled, grips the armrest on her seat.


CUT TO:


INT. THE CHURCH - DAY


In the middle of Alaric's funeral. Father Demetrios called for people to speak about their memories of Alaric. The first to speak is Cook.


COOK

Umm. Hi. I feel a bit of a fraud standing here. Most people think
Alaric and I were lovers and it is true that I loved him. I still do.
Love doesn't stop just because those we love go away, does it? But
our relationship was never like that. I believe Alaric was celibate for
most of my life. I hated that, but I respected it. I respect you Alaric, I
always will... and our love can't be murdered as easily as you were.

BOUDICCA

He was my brother. He was a bookseller. He was a shield against the horrors to come. I hope there is someone to fill his shoes but I know
that in my life, there will be an Alaric shaped hole. I miss you big
brother. I don't want you to go. I wish... I WISH I was going with
you but that is not my fate. I wish you well, my big brother. Go with
love.

LIAM

I've only known Alaric a short time. It was not long enough. I found
he had an integrity so rare these days. He was a good man.

TIA

I don't have anything to say but Daniel does and Daniel can't speak.
He drew this sketch while the service was going on.


Tia holds up a drawing of Alaric. In the picture, of course, Alaric is alive.

INT. THE PICTURE - DAY

ALARIC

Yeah. I'm dead. I know this. And thanks all for coming to my
funeral but you know how I died. You know why I died. You know
what you need to do... if you don't want me to come back and haunt
you.

INT. THE CHURCH - DAY


PETER

There's little I can say on top of what's been said. I was too stupid to
understand what Alaric was saying. Nothing is free and sometimes
the price is more than the prize is worth. A part of me would do
anything to have Alaric back, but we all know that the world doesn't
work that way. I hope. I need to believe that Alaric has gone on to a
better place. Thank you Father. Thank you all for coming. I hope
you can all come to the reception at the Mongol Gallery after the
reading of the will.


CUT TO:


INT. EUROSTAR - DAY


ANNOUNCER

Ladies and Gentlemen, I regret to have to tell you that this train will
be diverted to the old Eurostar terminal at London Waterloo. Your
tickets will be valid on reasonable bus and London Underground
routes. Eurostar apologises for any inconvenience caused.


Anna glares around her, eyes fierce.


ANNA

Are they messing with me? Am I going paranoid.


FADE TO:


INT. WATERLOO FORMER EUROSTAR TERMINAL- DAY


Passengers are disembarking through a terminal that has clearly not been used for years. Customs, police and Eurostar officials clearly have little more clue than the passengers where they are supposed to be or go.




EUROSTAR OFFICIAL

Welcome to England. Do you know where you need to go.

ANNA

Stoke Newington?

EUROSTAR OFFICIAL

You could try Waterloo and City Line, change for the Central Line
and then change for a train from Liverpool Street. It's probably
quickest, but the simplest is probably to take a 76 or 341 bus.


Anna nods her thanks and walks toward the exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment